by Lori Hansen, Owner/Innkeeper
What is Hygge?
Recently I was sitting in the parlor of our wonderful inn, fireplace crackling, Christmas tree lit, and snow covered the ground outside. My view was similar to the winter window seat picture featured above. What a wonderful feeling of peace and comfort. In Denmark they call this feeling “Hygge” (hoo-guh), and is described as creating an environment that cultivates warmth, closeness to others, and pleasure with scent, sound and sight. The feeling of Hygee is also promoted here at the Franklin Street Inn: warm colors in the rooms, baked goods scent the air, and comfort food on the breakfast table in the morning.
A full elegant breakfast also captures Hygee through scent and sight. Recently our son went to Denmark for vacation and brought back a cookbook for me titled “Tasting Hygge” by Leela Cyd. Of course the first thing I did was open it to the breakfast foods! Though there are several recipes yet to try, we immediately made the Gingerbread Waffles with Roasted Pears. Oh My Gosh! They were fabulous. There was such a nice balance of ginger and cloves with the nutmeg and cinnamon. Not too tart, not too sweet. The pears are roasted with vanilla and sugar which also balances the ginger and cloves. (I’m drooling as I describe these waffles to you). Unfortunately we did not get a good picture of this breakfast so we will have to make it again! When you visit our inn you might just have these for breakfast.
I’m in the process of making this recipe my own. I’m experimenting with different spices on the pears, different flours and different toppings. However, if you can’t wait to try these waffles, or to experience Hygge through taste, I’m including the link to this cookbook through Amazon: Tasting Hygge: Joyful Recipes for Cozy Days and Nights
(We are not affiliated with Amazon or this cookbook and will not receive any compensation for this endorsement)
You can experience Hygge when visiting our bed and breakfast, or one of many of our fellow Wisconsin Bed and Breakfast Association member Inns. When visiting the Franklin Street Inn, we recommend the following items to help create a comfortable and relaxing stay.
Five (5) Things to Bring for a Winter Weekend Getaway!
During the cold gray days of winter, remember these 5 Things to Bring for a Winter Weekend Getaway. Although there are many things to do in Appleton and the Fox Cities, assemble the items below and you can just stay at the house!
- Drinks and Snacks– The glassware and corkscrew are already here in your room. Use our minifridge for keeping things chilled, or we’ll be happy to supply a bucket of ice. Open a bottle or mix up a cocktail to warm your spirits. Bring a mix of sweet and salty morsels to enjoy as you hang out.
- WiFi and Bluetooth Devices – Our smart tvs are connected to our free WiFi. You can just load your account to stream your favorite Netflix, Amazon Prime or Youtube playlists. For the perfect musical mood, tune in one of the 50 music genres on the smart tv, or connect your Pandora or other account to listen to your favorite tunes. If you prefer, simply connect your phone, tablet, or laptop to our free WiFi network to stream your choices. Snuggle up to view a great show or movie in the comfort of your room, or simply browse or shop in your jammies.
- Magazines, Newspapers, and Books– Flip through your favorite news, entertainment, or lifestyle piece, or bring that book you’ve been meaning to read. Enjoy the pleasure of flipping the page instead of scrolling the screen. Prop yourself up on the wonderful pillows in your guest bed, choose a perch in one of our window seats, or enjoy the antique furnishings and fireplace in the main parlor. If you prefer to read by screen, our free WiFi is enabled throughout the Inn.
- Slippers and Cozy Socks– As you settle into the inn, kick off your shoes and wiggle your toes. Comfort is the goal here and this is a great chance to enjoy your long comfy cable knit socks or fluffy Sherpa fleece lined slippers.
- Puzzles and Games– Focus on a no-stress mental pursuit. Sip, snack, and sing in comfort while you patiently piece together a puzzle. Or shuffle the cards for cribbage or gin rummy. If you don’t wish to pack your own, the Inn can provide some puzzles, games, and cards for your use and enjoyment.
Bring Along Friends!
The list above is enhanced with friends, and as it’s been said, “The more, the merrier!” Invite another couple or two on the getaway. Each couple can enjoy a private guest room with bathroom and gather together in the parlor and dining room for conversation, drinks, snacks, and entertainment. Watch a classic movie or binge a favorite show together. Sing along to the hits or put on some throwback tunes together. Read through your favorite magazine then exchange with your friends for a shared experience. Roll the dice, shuffle the cards, play a game or layout a puzzle. Yahtzee anyone?
Your winter weekend Hygge getaway can be a peaceful, comfort-filled event as active or solitary as you would like. We would love to help you “Come Relax with Us” at the Franklin Street Inn. Take advantage of the items on the list. Add your own! We offer amenities to make you feel at home and welcome your personal ideas. Call 920-209-9711 or click Book Now to create your escape today!