Our Green Policy
Guest Thank You: We appreciate that you are making a lodging choice that supports conservation and preservation of our environment!
The Franklin Street Inn is committed to environmental improvements to help protect the Earth while pledging to provide our guests the quality of service they expect and deserve!
Travel Green Wisconsin Certification Standards
Travel Green Wisconsin is a voluntary program that reviews, certifies, & recognizes tourism businesses that have made a commitment to reduce their environmental impact. Visit their site at www.travelwisconsin.com to learn more.
Franklin Street Inn Bed & Breakfast in Appleton has met & exceeded the total of points needed for certification. They have earned 48 certified points. Their membership started in June 2009.
Travel Green Wisconsin Checklist Summary
X Basic Requirements
- X 48 pts. scored (30 pts required for certification)
- 6 pts. - Section A: Communication & Education
- 8 pts. – Section B: Waste Reduction, Reuse, & Recycling
- 9 pts. – Section C: Energy Efficiency, Conservation, & Management
- 7 pts. – Section D: Water Conservation & Wastewater Management
- 6 pts. – Section E: Air Quality
- 6 pts. – Section F: Wildlife & Landscape Conservation & Management
- 1 pt. – Section G: Transportation
- 1 pt. – Section H: Purchasing
- 4 pts. – Section I: Local Community Benefits
X Checklist Highlights/Innovative Best Practices
- Nontoxic, biodegradable detergents & cleansers are used
- Guests are encouraged to reuse linens & towels
- Three 15 gallon containers collect rainwater
- A recycling program is in place
We’re honored to be accepted as eco-friendly by Travel Green Wisconsin. Inn practices which are visible for you to experience:
Lighting on timers or motion sensors, compact fluorescent light bulbs when possible, our surf center computer operates on an on/off power strip to shut unit completely off when not in use, soy candles, solar-powered landscape lights, caulking & weather stripping seal window air leaks, rain barrels water exterior landscaping, compost practice for egg shells, coffee grounds, leaves, grass, etc, recycling of our paper, metals, & plastics, low-flow shower heads to save water, linen re-use program, environmentally-friendly cleaning & laundry, micro-fiber cloths are used vs. paper for cleaning, guest toiletries have natural & organic ingredients, refillable liquid soap dispensers, water is offered from a water cooler vs. bottled water, glassware is preferred over paper products, cloth is preferred over paper napkins, heating & cooling of inn is at recommended guest comfort levels, windows open for ventilation and cooling, our cotton, micro-fiber, & bamboo linens, pillows, & towels help save the earth, local & fresh in-season produce for guests, antique inn furniture is repaired & restored for everyone’s pleasure & preservation of natural wood resources.
As a guest, ways you can help:
- Water: You can help us conserve water consumption by taking shorter showers-shortening by 1-2 min. saves 700 gal/month. Turn off water while you brush your teeth-saves 3 gal./day. Don’t let water run unnecessarily.
- Electric: Conserve energy by turning off lights when you leave. Avoid leaving lights on when not in the room or through the night. Turn off TV, unplug cell phone & battery chargers when not in use.
- Reduce, Reuse, Recycle: We have a marked trash container at the end of the hall for recycling plastic, metal, & paper... There is also a silver trash can outside of the inn’s back door for compost.
- Laundry: Participate in our optional towel & linen reuse program. Place towels on the bathroom floor to signal housekeeping that you would like a fresh towel. A towel hanging will not be changed.
Air quality: We are a smoke-free inn. Smoking permitted outside only.
Franklin Street Inn Bed and Breakfast
318 East Franklin Street
Appleton, Wisconsin, WI 54911, United States
+1 920 2099711